International Students


important info for students on an online-only pathway

Please note that many of our low residency programmes are now available as online only degrees. You do not need a Student Visa if you are planning to study 100% online, though will need to see evidence that you meet our language requirements.

International students may only study part time if they take the entire programme online, as we cannot currently sponsor international or EU students to study with us in the UK on a part time basis.

visa requirements

language requirements

For international students, there are a few additional steps that you should to consider in order to successfully enrol as a student at Schumacher College or Dartington Arts School.

You will need to apply for Student Visa if you are not from the UK, including EU students, and wish to study on a programme for more than 6 months at Dartington. (This does not apply if you are studying entirely online – see above.)

To get a Student Visa you will need to have a confirmed full time place on one of our degree programmes, enough money to support yourself and pay for the course, and have taken an IELT language test to prove your English is of the standard required to study here. There are exemptions to this rule for applicants from countries where English is predominant. A list of exempt countries can be found here.

Your visa application will be based on you as an individual and we are not able to give advice on specific cases, however there is a wealth of information available to you to help make the process as simple as possible. The best place to start is the UK Government website’s resource.

We would also highly recommend you take a look at the British Council’s Study UK website, which lays out the information in a clear and accessible way.

While we are not able to give immigration advice, we are happy to discuss your situation with you and point you in the right direction. Please contact and a member of our team will get back to you.

We are also able to offer accommodation to international students outside of the Onsite Teaching periods, as long as they have entered the UK on a Study Visa. See our Accommodation section for details.

We encourage you to apply for your chosen programme in advance of the early, preferred application deadline, in order to allow time for your application to be processed and for you to apply for your visa once you have a confirmed place.